One in 3 children in the United States is overweight or obese. Childhood obesity puts kids at risk for health problems that were once seen only in adults, like type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease.
The good news is that childhood obesity can be prevented. In honor of National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month, SignatureCare encourages your family to make healthy changes together.
- Get active outside: Walk around the neighborhood, go on a bike ride, or play basketball at the park.
- Limit screen time: Keep screen time (time spent on the computer, watching TV, or playing video games) to 2 hours or less a day.
- Make healthy meals: Buy and serve more vegetables, fruits, and whole-grain foods.
Taking small steps as a family can help your child stay at a healthy weight.
Go to the local Park:
- Memorial Park has a walking trail and the Vale-Asche Foundation Playground inside of Memorial Park. VAFP is a playground without limits, where your child will enjoy the physical activity that will support the prevention of childhood obesity.
- Discovery Green has the Gateway Fountain and the John P. McGovern Playground! Discovery Green offers many other activities throughout the year to keep you and your kids active as a family.
- Herman Park Conservacy has many points of interest for fitness for you and your family such as the Marvin Talor 2 mile Trail, the Urban Forest. Check out other places of interest for your child to stay active with this interactive map of Herman Park Conservancy.
For more information, visit SignatureCare Emergency Center.