If you have a severe headache that is not responding to over-the-counter medications, you should visit the closest emergency room. SignatureCare Emergency Centers have four locations. Our ER is open 24/7 and we treat severe headaches. Our emergency rooms have our board-certified doctors treat and diagnose severe headaches. There is a reason for the severe headache- Visit the closest ER to get relief for your headache. Make an appointment today or just walk in. We treat all emergencies and urgent care needs.
A severe headache is a throbbing, stabbing, dull or pulsing pain that occurs anywhere in the head. It may spread across a wide region of the head, or it may be located in one place. Severe headaches may develop gradually or occur suddenly, and they can last from one hour to several days.
Common Causes of Severe Headaches:
Headaches are classified according to what has caused them:
- Primary headaches – Primary headaches occur when the pain is not the result of another symptom or disease. These headaches are the caused by chemical activity in the brain, genetics or the reaction of pain-sensitive structures. There are several types of primary headaches, including:
- Tension headaches – A tension headache is characterized by a tight band of pressure and pain around the head. Scientists are not sure what causes tension headaches, but the pain can usually be managed with lifestyle changes and medication.
- Cluster headaches – A cluster headache is a sharp, burning pain that is located on one side of your head. It often occurs without warning in the middle of the night, and the pain may go away in a short time. Cluster headaches may be managed using medications and acute treatments.
- Migraine headaches – A migraine headache is a severe headache that is often accompanied by vomiting, nausea and sensitivity to sound and light. These pulsing and throbbing headaches may last for a few hours or several days. Migraine headaches may be managed using preventative measures and medication.
- Chronic daily headaches – If you have headaches almost every day, then you may suffer from chronic daily headaches. These headaches are incessant and may make it difficult for you to participate in regular activities. Chronic daily headaches may be managed with medication, but some people find that their pain continues despite taking medicine.
- Activity headaches – Activity headaches are brought on by participating in an activity. They are often associated with exercising, having sex and coughing.
- Secondary headaches – Secondary headaches are triggered when another health issue causes the nerves in the head to overreact to pain. Many illnesses and health conditions can cause secondary headaches, including:
- A hangover
- Ear infection
- Blood clot
When to Seek Medical Attention:
If you notice that you are having more headaches than normal, or that your pain is increasing in intensity, visit our facility at SignatureCare. Come in as soon as you notice the following symptoms:
- Vomiting or nausea if you do not have the flu
- Fainting or weakness
- High fever
- Loss of balance
- Speech difficulties
If you are suffering from a severe headache, please visit our closest ER today. Our emergency room is always open so that we can provide you with pain relief 24/7. Our board-certified physicians will get you taken care of, within the comforts of our fully-stocked facility. Schedule an emergency room appointment with us.