The Lab Manager is responsible for technical and scientific oversight at each facility. This person is also responsible for both performing tests and supervision of the laboratory operations and personnel performing tests and reporting results. He/She will assure the quality and timeliness of the testing, which meets the age-specific needs of patients including neonates, infants, children, adolescents, adults, and geriatric patients.
- Associate Degree and be qualified under CLIA guidelines.
- Certifications preferred
- One to three years of experience preferred.
- Effective communication and basic computer skills needed.
JOBS RESPONSIBILITIES/ DUTIES
- Assist in various departments as needed.
- Ability to draw blood in consideration of age-specific physiological factors.
- Accurately report patient results.
- Must be accessible to testing personnel to provide on-site, telephone, or electronic consultation.
- Provide supervision testing personnel.
- Verify test procedures performed and established the laboratory test performance characteristics, including the precision and accuracy of each test and test system.
- Ensure adequate orientation for all testing personnel.
- Evaluate the competency of all testing personnel and assure the staff maintains their competency to perform test procedures and report test results promptly, accurately, and proficiently.
- Evaluate and document the performance of individuals at least semiannually during the first year the individual tests patient specimens. Thereafter, evaluation must be performed at least annually unless test methodology or instrumentation changes, in which case, prior to reporting patient test results. The individual’s performance must be re-evaluated to include the use of the new test methodology.
- Select the best test methodology that is appropriate for the clinical use of the test results.
- Make recommendation for PI indicators and compile information and ensure corrective action and evaluate effectiveness,
- See that reports are accurate, legible, and within the acceptable criteria and reported appropriately for abnormal and critical values.
- Assure the work flow provided stats and priority tests within prescribe turnaround times to provide optimum patient care.
- Maintain professional interaction with staff, peers, and senior leadership.
- Assisting, orient, and training new employees.
- Evaluate equipment and procedures. Write and/or review and revise procedures and maintenance protocols. See that procedures and manuals are reviewed according to schedule.
- Performs and assure compliance with proficiency testing and other regulatory agency standards.
- Resolve technical problems and assure that all remedial actions are taken whenever test systems deviate from the laboratory established performance specifications.
- Ensure that patients test results are not reported until all corrective actions have been taken and the test system is functioning properly.
- Establish a quality control appropriate for the testing performed and establishing the parameter for acceptable levels of analytic performance. Ensure that these levels are maintains throughout the entire testing process form the initial receipt of the specimen through sample analysis and reporting of test results.
- Identify training needs and assure that each individual performing test receives regular in-service training and education appropriate for the type and complexity of the laboratory services performed.
- Assure employees follow safety standards and practices.
- Will pass hospital CPR course and provide assistance during codes as necessary.
- Manage equipment inventory.
- Coordinate preparation for accrediting agencies inspections
- Serve as a clinical resource to staff. Assumes an active role in the development & mentoring of staff.
- May be required to work holidays and weekends as needed.
- Familiar with all testing performed in the laboratory.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development and possesses ability to access data, interpret age-specific needs and provide care as described in the departments policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates the ability to perform specific competencies as listed on the Competency Validation Checklist,
- Displays courteous behavior and cooperative relationships with customers and coworkers.
- Communicates with facility personnel, senior leadership, and managers.
- Regularly exposed to the risk of blood-borne diseases.
- Limited contact with patients but in a wide variety of circumstance (accident, injuries, and illness potential).
- Has available protective gear necessary for performance of task without risk of exposure.
- Occasionally subjected to irregular work hours and pressure due to multiple phone calls and inquiries form doctors and nurses.
|Use of latex gloves
|Perform shift work
|Exposure to toxic diacaustic/chemicals/detergent
|Maneuver weight of patients
|Exposure to extreme conditions, hot/cold
|Hear alarms/telephone/tape recorder
|Exposure to dust/fumes/helicopter
|Walk 2 hours per day
|Exposure to moving mechanical parts
|Reach above the shoulder
|Exposure to potential electrical shock
|Repetitive arm/hand movements
|Exposure to x-ray/electromagnetic energy
|Exposure to high pitched noises
|Exposure to communicable diseases
|Blood born pathogen exposure
|Gaseous risk exposure
|Use of a fitted respirator
To apply for this or any other position fill out and attach your resume using the below form.
SignatureCare Emergency Center does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship status, physical or mental disability or veteran status. The above job description is intended to describe the general content of and requirements of the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. The statements in this job description are intended to describe the essential nature and level of work performed by Lab Managers assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties & skills required of Lab Managers so classified.