Vaccinations for Colleges Students

Vaccinations for Colleges Students

What vaccinations are recommended for college students?

According to the Health and Human Services,” all entering students at an institution of higher education* are required to show proof of an initial meningococcal vaccination or a booster dose during the five-year period prior to enrolling. They must get the vaccine at least 10 days before the semester begins. See the exemptions section for more information on exemptions from these requirements.” This means you only have to get 1 meningococcal vaccination while you are enrolled within a 5-year time frame.

But if you are…

  • A first-time student of an institution of higher education or private or independent institution of higher education
  • A transfer student from a different college (institution)
  • A returning student who has attended college(institution) before January 1, 2012, who is enrolling in the same or another college (institution) of higher education following a break in enrollment of at least one fall or spring semester

You are required to take an additional meningococcal vaccination.

But wait….you may be exempt if…

  • you are older than 22 years of age before the first day of class
  • you only enrolled in distance education (online education)
  • you are enrolled in a continuing education class with less than 360 contact hours
  • you are enrolled in a dual credit class not taught at a college campus/higher education campus
  • you are incarcerated in a Texas Prison
  • you have a signed affidavit or certificate from a physician stating that it would not be good for your health
  • you submit a signed affidavit stating that you decline due to religious beliefs

***For students obtaining exemptions from vaccination, these exemptions do not apply during a disaster or public health emergency, terrorist attack, hostile military or paramilitary action, or extraordinary law enforcement emergency; declared by an appropriate official or authority from the Texas Department of State Health Services; and in effect for the location of the institution the student attends – Texas Health and Human Services

Obtaining an Affidavit By Mail

A written request for an affidavit may be sent through the United States Postal Service (or another commercial carrier) to:

Texas Department of State Health Services
Immunization Branch, Mail Code 1946
P.O. Box 149347
Austin, Texas 78714-9347

Obtaining an Affidavit By Fax

Fax written requests for affidavits to (512) 776-7544

Obtaining an Affidavit In Person

Requests for an affidavit may be made in-person at:

Texas Department of State Health Services
1100 West 49th Street
Austin, Texas 78756

NOTE: No requests will be filled at the time of hand-delivery.
All affidavit forms will be mailed to you via U.S. Postal Service.

By SignatureCare ER | Aug 13th, 2017 | Categories: Community, Health & Wellness

Share this useful information with your friends!

Related Blog Posts