Have a question about COVID-19? Submit it below and our board-certified ER physicians will answer it. We will post your question and answer on our Coronavirus FAQ Page.
Coronavirus is a respiratory syndrome from Wuhan, China (2019-nConV)
What is Coronavirus?
Corona is a large group of viruses which can infect both humans and animals with cold-related diseases. The intensity of the infection ranges from common colds to acute respiratory syndrome.
However, the new strain of Coronavirus, called 2019-nCoV, is a novel virus to humans. So the information related to the disease, including symptoms and means of treatment is limited.
The CDC, in cooperation with WHO and international experts, are working to combat the virus.
Is there Treatment or Vaccine for Coronavirus?
There is currently no treatment beyond supportive medical care to relieve symptoms.
What are the Symptoms of the Coronavirus?
- Shortness of breath
In advanced cases, the patient can have serious complications that can result in death, such as:
- Severe Pneumonia
- Kidney Failure
How is the Coronavirus Transmitted?
- Direct contact with infected patient
- Droplets from patient’s coughing and sneezing
- Contact with patient’s belongings followed by touching your nose or mouth
How to Protect Yourself from the Coronavirus
- Avoid contact with others and wash your hands frequently
- Maintain good hygiene habits at all times
- Wear a face mask when dealing with infected persons
- Use tissues when coughing or blowing nose
- Wash and prepare food carefully
- Exercise and proper sleep will bolster the immune system